Choosing Happiness
1:50 PM | Author: Spencer
Intro.

We all have a list of things that we think will make us happy. We assume that once we have checked the boxes next to everything on that list that we will be happy no matter what, and to protect ourselves from such flawed logic we add a few things to the list that are virtually unattainable.  That way there isn't a risk of having everything on our list and still not being happy. 

Well, my list is looking pretty good right now. I have a lot of things in my life that I truly love and cherish.  I would be truly crushed to lose any of it and I know that these are things that I truly enjoy.  So what is the problem? Why isn't there a constant waterfall of joy and comfort pouring down on me to validate my list?  Honestly, I don't know. I'm not sure life would really be worth it if it were that easy. I would like to believe that the greatest life lessons and achievements come from within.  I would hope that they are born through overcoming obstacles and self validation.  

I truly believe that happiness is not a place that you can move to and never be bothered.  In my mind I see it as a living thing. It requires constant effort and attention, it suffers when we don't make it a priority and flourishes when we do.  I don't believe it is perfect or constant, but unique and vulnerable.  It is a fluid relationship that ebbs and flows every moment of every day.

Why all this matters.

I mentioned my list. I have worked for and gained a lot. Family. Love. Friends. Money. Work. Possessions. I am checking a lot of boxes.  The problem is that I have been waiting for my waterfall of happiness to just start raining down on me.  It hasn't been though and I am worried that I may have damaged things or at the very least taken things for granted. I'm worried that I have put my list in jeopardy. 

Turning moment. 

I feel that because I have not been good at working for the happiness that I want in my life, I could lose opportunities, people and relationships. I don't want to lose what I have just because I didn't show that I was happy. Here is what I am going to do about it. I truly believe that it is possible to be happy at all costs. I am in the driver's seat and I control my own destiny.  I am starting fresh. I am going to try harder and prioritize the important things. I am going to choose happiness.  I think that this falls into the category of "Easier said than done" but I know it is worth it.  

Why am I blogging about this? 

I have decided to keep track of what works and what doesn't and share the things that really help me choose to be happy.  I want to do this because I know that I am not the only person out there who is looking for ways to try harder at being happy.  I am not positive how this will turn out.  I will attempt to keep it fairly impersonal and focus just on the things that helped and why.  

The outlook.

We all want to be happy. Everyone has their own perspective on what will work and why.  I am doing this for a few reasons.  I am doing it for myself.  I deserve to be happy.  I am doing it for the people in my life that I love.  They deserve to know and love and be loved by a happy person, by the very best person I can be. I am doing this for hope. I know that so many of us struggle with hope and knowing whether or not we were meant to be happy. The truth is everyone deserves to be happy and with work we all can be.  If all this and all that follows it can help one person, even if it isn't me, then it will be worth it. 
|
This entry was posted on 1:50 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: